After class, I approached Knapp to ask her about the difficulty I’d had with Balancing Stick and Dancer. She assured me my experience was normal, and said many people practice aqua yoga for the sole purpose of improving their balance: “I believe aqua yoga is the most incredible balance training that exists right now,” she said. “In the water there is a constant yet changing motion against you that triggers the body’s reflexive reactions.”

Knapp also pointed out that aqua yoga is especially good for people with injuries, since it cuts down on the gravitational pull, and therefore stress, on your body. Plus, she pointed out, you won’t fall over and hurt yourself in the pool, which makes it a great place to try tough poses, and develop your practice.

As for me, the next time I really need to relax, I plan on finding a warm pool where I can move through some poses, and then float around for a while on a couple of noodles.

This article originally appeared on Health.com